The NEAR Developer Program allows you to get access to an account on MainNet along with a small allocation of (locked) tokens necessary to deploy an application. It also gives you a fast track into the community, where you’ll find help and support.
As part of signing up, we will verify that you are a real human developer and provide you with instructions to set up your NEAR account so you can deploy your first application to MainNet. Think of it as getting your NEAR API Key.
See the FAQ section below for more information.
Who Should Sign Up
This program is designed for developers who intend to deploy applications to the NEAR MainNet, whether that is right now or in the future. Note that it can take up to 24 hours to receive your approval so it’s best to apply well in advance of your deployment.
How it Works
- Apply: Fill out the form with your information and submit. You will be asked for your Github profile.
- Review: Wait up to 24 hours for your approval. We will email you when you are approved (check your SPAM folder) with instructions for how to proceed or we might have followup questions. If you don’t hear back in 24 hours, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Build: After you are approved, you will be officially in the Developer Program and the community will do everything possible to support you as you build your application. While this also makes you eligible to set up your MainNet account, we ask that you only complete that stage of the process when you are ready to deploy to MainNet because it is still quite manual.
- Provision Account: Once you have your application on TestNet and ready for deployment to MainNet, we’ll walk you through how to provision your MainNet account. You will need to identify the secure storage option you will use to generate and store your keypair. This is a MainNet keypair and should be treated with the utmost security! Some options (like buying a hardware wallet) may take several days to set up. See FAQ section for options.
- Deploy: Once your account has been provisioned on MainNet, you will be able to deploy your application.
Getting Started: How to Develop on NEAR
If you haven’t checked them out, the NEAR Docs are very detailed and provide many examples of how to build and deploy applications.
Here are some other helpful links:
- Block Explorer and Debugger
- A Beginner’s Guide to the NEAR Protocol Project
- The NEAR White paper
If you need help, you should join our community channels:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What key storage solutions fully support NEAR?
The most secure option is currently the Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.
You may also generate the keypair using the NEAR Wallet but this should not be considered a good long-term solution.
If you are simply storing your keys (without requiring the ability to submit transactions), you could use any valid curve to generate a pair.
Why is this program necessary?
During MainNet Phase 0 (POA) and Phase 1 (Restricted), because there are restrictions on transferring tokens, all new account creation must be done via this program in order to guarantee that those restrictions are maintained.
In Phase 2 (Community Governed) and beyond, this program is no longer necessary but will provide substantial value.
For more information on the MainNet phases, see the Road to MainNet and Beyond post.
What information do I need to submit and how is eligibility determined?
The legal framework under which we operate requires us to ask some questions to verify who you are, where you live and that you are a real human developer. This also means that we may not be able to provide accounts for everyone during this phase (it’s out of our control!), depending on your location and status.
We will do the best we can to make sure you get your app deployed! If you can provide an application on TestNet that is ready for deployment to MainNet, it will be very helpful for us to find a solution to make sure that deployment happens.
Please review the program’s Terms & Conditions before registering.
I haven’t heard back about my application, what do I do?
Sorry! This is being administered in a very manual fashion at first. Reach out to email@example.com and maybe include a picture of a cute puppy just in case.
Also, check your SPAM folder because we have had occasional email deliverability issues in the past.
Why isn’t this process instant?
This is just the first iteration of the program! So to begin with, everything we do is 100% manual behind the scenes. We’ll improve this as we go forward.
If we are bottlenecked, we prioritize submissions from developers who have already deployed an app to TestNet and submitted that link.
How many tokens will I get?
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will initially receive enough to provision the account (to pay for the data storage it requires) and deploy your application. If you require more to set up or run your app, talk to us and we will figure something out.
Where can I get more tokens?
For now, you will need to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will manually figure out a solution. There is currently no option to purchase additional tokens but you can put yourself on the notification list for any future token activities at https://near.org/tokens.
Can I join if I’m not a developer?
No. This program is for developers and those who will deploy their applications only. We will verify that you are a developer as part of the signup process.
This is v1.0… how will this program improve over time?
We’re going to automate more and more processes and also create tight linkages with our global communities so everyone is well supported. There will also be easy ways to get tokens and show off your application. All of this will take some time.
I have feedback about this process or the program, where do I leave it?